OTC Ep. 6 – Conversation With Alison Pidgeon
What do you do when you struggle with Postpartum Depression? What about Postpartum Anxiety?
Mothers have a really tough gig! They often feel pressure (both externally and internally) to be perfect in all arenas. The many changes that mothers experience during pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum can be extremely difficult to navigate and manage. There is so much they are responsible for and often not enough resources to provide support This pressure can often result in the mother experiencing postpartum depression and/or anxiety, self-doubt and self-loathing.
Parenting & Family Solutions is a private outpatient mental health practice in the Harrisburg & Lancaster, PA area that is focused on providing quality mental health services to meet your needs. Our licensed and board certified counselors are experienced and able to help you improve your life and most important relationships. Call us to schedule your first session at 717-602-5560
In This Episode
John speaks with Alison Pidgeon, LPC (owner of Move Forward Counseling and Move Forward Virtual Assistants) about her practices focus on Maternal Mental Health and how she strives to help mothers move forward!
Meet Alison Pidgeon
Alison Pidgeon, MA, LPC is a licensed professional counselor in the state of Pennsylvania and the founder and CEO of Move Forward Counseling, LLC, a group private practice in Lancaster, PA. Her group of licensed clinicians focuses on serving women and provides treatment for a variety of issues including mental health concerns in pregnancy and postpartum, infertility, depression, anxiety, dual diagnosis, and trauma. The mission of Move Forward Counseling is not only to serve adult women and teens, but also to provide innovative services to meet the needs of the community. Recently they have added creative life coaching services as a complement to the mental health outpatient treatment that is provided. In 2017 Move Forward Counseling won the Central Penn Business Journal’s “Best Emerging Business of the Year” award. The practice continues to expand and in December 2018 it will double in size with more specialties being offered to serve women in the community. In addition, Alison is a business consultant with the Practice of the Practice.
SOME OF THE HIGHLIGHTS FROM EP. 6:
- Mothers struggle with unrealistic expectations
- Often this takes the form of postpartum depression or postpartum anxiety
- Symptoms of Postpartum Depression include
- Feeling sad, hopeless, empty, or overwhelmed
- Crying more often than usual or for no apparent reason
- Worrying or feeling overly anxious
- Feeling moody, irritable, or restless
- Oversleeping, or being unable to sleep even when her baby is asleep
- Having trouble concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
- Experiencing anger or rage
- Losing interest in activities that are usually enjoyable
- Suffering from physical aches and pains, including frequent headaches, stomach problems, and muscle pain
- Eating too little or too much
- Withdrawing from or avoiding friends and family
- Having trouble bonding or forming an emotional attachment with her baby
- Persistently doubting her ability to care for her baby
- Thinking about harming herself or her baby.
- One of the major symptoms to look for is the mother being unable to sleep even when the baby is sleeping
OTC Ep. 7 – Video Gaming Teaches Social Skills – A Conversation with Josh Bound, Teacher and Founder of Video Game Clubs of America
Meet John Dennis
John is a licensed professional counselor with over 14 years of experience who specializes in counseling for individuals, couples, children, and adolescents. He focuses on working with anxious teens and adults, couples who are struggling to connect with one another, and those dealing with grief and loss.
Thanks For Listening!
Feel free to leave a comment below or share this podcast on social media by clicking on one of the social media links below! Alternatively, leave a review on iTunes and subscribe!